As concerns over card/account fraud continue to grow, understanding the basics of card safety and security is very important. Nobody wants to go through the hassle of having your personal details and cards stolen or having to lock your card/account temporarily.
Keep your account & cards safe and out of the wrong hands with the following guidelines and tips from Timo.
1. Safeguarding your card
- Check the information on the card to ensure it matches with the information registered with Timo
- Sign the signature panel on the back of your card as soon as you get it
- Change your PIN at any ATM provided by Timo or VPBank or via the Timo app immediately after receiving your card. Avoid using predictable passwords such as: birth dates, National identification numbers, Passport numbers…
- Value your card as if it is cash and keep it in a secured place or ensure that it is in your possession at all times
- Do not lend your card to anyone nor share any of your card details with anyone including Timo bank staff
- Memorize your PIN instead of writing it down
- Never keep your PIN code in the same place as your card
- Do not store the front and back copies of your cards
- With expired cards, please punch a hole on the chip and cut across the magnetic stripe of your card to destroy it
- Notify Timo immediately when there are changes in important personal information (such as: passport number, contact address, email address, mobile number, etc.)
- Lock your card in the Timo app or contact Timo Care via our hotline 1800 6788 to request locking your card in case it gets lost/stolen or arises unusual transactions
- Use the Timo app to manage your account effectively
2. Safety Tips for ATM Transactions
- Never share your PIN with anyone
- When entering your PIN, carefully block other people’s view of the keypad by covering it with your hand
- Change your PIN code regularly at reasonable intervals for safety purposes
- Make sure to carefully observe ATMs for fraudulent devices and be aware of your surroundings before making your transactions.Check for anything that looks out of the ordinary such as unusual scratches or gouges, wires, tape residue on or near the card reader, or odd-looking equipment attached to the ATM.
- Make sure to get your card back and check your withdrawal amount after every ATM transaction
3. Safety Tips for Point of Sale (POS) Transactions
- Make sure that your card is swiped in your presence during purchases. Do not let anyone take a photo or write down your card details
- Complete the transaction at POS by entering your PIN by yourself. Shield your PIN from onlookers by covering the keypad while entering the PIN
- Always request making the transactions by inserting the card into the chip-reading device with chip cards. Only allow your card to be swiped through a magnetic-stripe card reader in case their devices cannot read your card chip
- Carefully check the details and amount of payment before signing the receipts
- Make sure that you get your card back after every purchase transaction
- Keep your receipts/invoices to cross check them with your billing statements
- Shred the receipts before throwing them away
4. Safety Tips for paying online, via email or mobile phone
- Only pay online at well-reputed websites with trustworthy encryption technologies
- Use your private computer/laptop or your mobile phone device to make transactions instead of using technology devices in public places such as coffee shops, hotels, etc.
- Make sure your computer/device is equipped with a firewall/ virus-protection software
- Avoid downloading software or programs from unknown sources.
- Consider changing your password periodically and avoid using the same password for all your accounts
- Never save accounts attached with your card details in your browsers
- Carefully read the terms and conditions of use before paying on any website
- If you suspect that your card data may have been compromised or stolen, please STOP proceeding with any transaction and immediately notify Timo to be processed promptly.
5. Things to do with your card when traveling abroad
- Contact Timo and let us know your arriving destination and your length of stay before travelling
- Remember card information, balance / outstanding credit limit to use when needed
- Carefully cross check your receipts/ bills and with the transaction notifications in your Timo app
6. Preventing Card Fraud
To prevent card fraud cases, please keep in mind the followings:
- Beware of email or website pages containing several mistakes/typos and emails inquiring your personal information
- Never respond to emails,websites or phone calls asking you to provide information such as your personal information or card details
- Timo would never ask you to provide confidential information such as passwords, PIN, your card security code, card expiry date or OTP in any circumstance. In cases when you receive these messages/calls, please DO NOT REPLY MAIL/PROVIDE INFORMATION and notify us via our hotline 1800 6788
- Check all your transaction notifications upon receipts and immediately notify Timo when detecting unusual transactions or transactions you did not perform, even if they are small amounts.
Whether you are travelling abroad or just down the street, card safety is very important. Hopefully these tips from Timo will help you to safeguard your account and cards better.